Monday, April 30, 2012

End of April - Eight Topics, Eight Forms

Back on the 19th, I rolled the 20-sided die, which determined I was to write eight extra poems over the remainder of the project, the product of that effort is below:

1 - Breakfast Television

Free Verse

"I Like Myself"

In my underwear
Vodka-soaked
Smoking cigarettes and eating mooshu pork
I watch Dora The Explorer
She sings the words:
"Me gusto mi misma."


2 - The Life of a Barista

Heroic Verse w/Refrain

There are a lot of things I missed writing about here: free pastries, customer crushes, rushed philosophical discussions, the fact that your clothes always smell like coffee, playing the music you want to play, admirers (wanted/unwanted, secret/not-so-secret), the sweaty camaraderie , tip jar thieves, beers in paper cups, constantly breathing in a fine layer of espresso dust, and on and on...


Morning at the Marzocco

Astride my bike I beat the sun
Like Phaeton, Helios’s son
Then disembark outside the store
And groggily unlock the door
A shot, a small (no room), and then
I'm wide awake by six A.M.
No customers till half past ten
The café gets swept, the coffees get changed

By noon there is a steady din
The café's bustling within
While I am stuck at the Marzocco
Preparing yet another cocoa
I casually adjust the grind
Note the espresso's pulling time
Then move to conquer my drink line
The café gets swept, the bus bins get changed

After my shift I eat alone:
Soft tacos at Burrito Zone
"Hey, don't you work at Caffé Sable?"
The customer sits at my table
And I politely take my leave
Back to work, to Beth and Steve
To chat and maybe mooch some tea
The café gets swept, the trashes get changed


3 - Island Nations, Who They Fakin'?

Early 90's Whiteboy Agro-Rap

(shout out to J. Liggan)

Straight Outta Cardiff (Excerpt)

It's Waaaaales!
Where I hustle all of my bills
And I rack up all of my kills
Back off unless you wanna get drilled
Waaaales

Cruising down the M4 in my ’90 station wagon
With my crew in the back – they call us The Red Dragons
I'm wearing more leeks than the S.S Titanic
I fucked Catherine Zeta-Jones
Then I bought her a sandwich
Everybody knows I'm a closet romantic
Absolutely no doubt that I'll make your lady's legs shake
And if you've got a problem then you're gonna have a headache
I’m not afraid to stab a bitch for a motherfucking cupcake 

It's Waaaales!
Where I hustle all of my bills
Where my parents always post bail
So I never have to spend the night in jail
Waaaales


4 - Acrimony

Acrostic

Acrimony (one-sided)

Acid-tongued
Crudities
Rudely uttered
In order to
Make you react
Outrageously

No luck
You respond with nothing


5 - Boston vs. New York

Twin Limericks

The Red Sox are greater than great
They really clean up at the plate
Though they're now free from Ruth
There's still the sad truth
They were the last to integrate


New York is the best town on earth
A playground of infinite mirth
But around mid-July
When the sun rises high
The whole island smells of afterbirth



6 - Subway Alliances

Prose

Here Comes The Sun, Underground

On a crowded evening F train, everything is grey coats and downturned lips. The smell is stronger than usual: damp wool, wet leather, air that has been inhaled and exhaled too many times by too many people. I sense the bulk of the woman sharing the seat-back with me. Her flesh is spilling over to my side and I can see her large hoop earrings in my periphery.

A man gets on at West 4th Street. He is carrying a guitar with cracks in the body and a sunflower painted on it. There are about a dozen felt sunflowers pinned to his shirt and pants. He speaks softly and there is dirt under his fingernails. "Hi everyone. Life is a beautiful thing. I hope you all have a great day."

The man begins to play and the moment his fingers touch the rusty strings, a change comes over his face: the dirt and the lines seem to disappear, as his eyes and mouth collaborate to form an open, childlike grin.

I feel the woman behind me moving to beat of the music. She feels me moving too. "He's good, he's good," she tells me. I'm close enough to smell her cinnamon breath.

"Yeah, he is good."

The rest of the subway isn't watching him - some people are looking at the floor, others at the ads for lawyers and language institutes, a few stare out the windows at the blurred tiles of the station walls - so he plays for the woman and me. He labors when it comes time for him to fingers the arpeggios, but he tells us, "it's alright, it's alright."

When he finishes, she and I clap. No one else does. "Come on people, show the man some love," she yells to the skittish mass of commuters, "put yo’ hands in yo’ pockets and dig deep. Dig deep y'all." I give the man a dollar.

The woman and I don't speak for the rest of ride and I depart at 40th Street/Bryant Park.


7 - "Joseph Kony" 

Insult Poem /Facebook Thread

I adore this man 
Why do you love Joseph Kony?
That's really not funny, Tony
I bet you're sad and lonely
Yo facist, suck my baloney
Fuck you man, you fuckin phony
Wow, your an asshole Tony
I hope you get raped by a pony
Guys that picture's Carl Weathers




8 - Ingrid Bergman

Woody Guthrie’s tribute 

Free verse/modified tanka

Grandmothers

We laughed together
Smoking a blunt in the rain
High as we could remember
Not talking about
Marjorie Teplitz
Or Ingrid Bergman


No comments: