Friday, April 13, 2012

April 13th - WILD CARD

Ten of Spades - WILD CARD
Today I have to write a...Bruce Springsteen Song about...
King of Spades - Inside Jokes


This one is brimming with inside jokes. See if you can spot any of ours, friends.


Living In The Red 


Slow piano intro (slightly reminiscent of Pachelbel's Canon)
Harmonica comes in


You drive to the city and get rid of the car
Meet Mitch's connection at a folk singers' bar
A girl's hollerin' at you when you come out
She's wearing
crimped hair and a stained blouse
Screaming "Welcome to the Dollhouse"
Under your feet written on the sidewalk
"Pray until something happens"
So much for your man's big talk
Mitch brought you to the crap end

Its a barenaked city of legendary losers
Of big dreamers and hard boozers

No sign here reads
"Employee For Hire"
This town's full of black and white vampires
People keeping warm by trashcan fires
The boys in the alley getting their snorts
When they stand in your way
And ask you if you like sports
You better have come to play

But you run, run, Mary
Keep running into the night
Running from those things that you said
Down the road where angels never tread
But don't you forget
This stoop is no place for a bed
You're still here (you're still here)
You're living in the red

You ride that rail mile after mile
Gripping onto your pack koala-style
You get to the house in the woods
Where you and your man get your goods
He is ready to make his plays
But you can't bring yourself inside
And these woods go back a ways
There's plenty of space to hide


So you run, run, Mary
Keep running into the night
Running from those things that you said
Down the road where angels never tread
But don't you forget
A boxcar's no place for a bed
You're still here (you're still here)
You're living in the red

Somber Horn break: (merrr merrr merrr, etc.)

You wonder what happened once you flew
You wonder what happened to the people we knew
After you left with Mitch
Kathy and Dodger got hitched
Herschel went to live with Shan
Stormy got killed in Vietnam
And me
Weeeellll me

I'm happily married to a pretty heiress*
We both have passports, we can fly to Paris
Our garage has room for two cars
I've got a couple of Fender guitars
But the truth is I've forgotten how to play
I sleep through the night, I work through the day
But tonight I walk under the stars
And wonder what planet you're on
You never seemed very far
But I know that you're gone
Oh you run, run, Mary, my huckleberry
Keep running into the night
I don't care about what you said
I just don't wanna hear that you're dead
But babe...
My Hooouuuuse has no space for your bed
You ain't here (you ain't here)
You're living in the red



*Sorry Kanye


Compare to 2010's Springsteen song

No comments: