Friday, April 09, 2010

April 9th - WILD CARD

Jack of Hearts - WILD CARD
King of Clubs - Burger King

When asking for topic ideas for this project, I got a great one from one C. S. that I wanted to include but for which I couldn't really find a proper place - and to be honest, I wasn't quite sure I was up to the task. The topic in question: "all alliteration". So the following is a poem that includes a poem-within-a-poem that includes almost all alliteration. Thanks for the killer suggestion, C.!


An Endless October Fast Food Morning

In the early morning sleeplessness, the post-coital dew
I'm thinking of you vaguely and I
can still smell you on my beard and I
need a taste in my mouth other than yours but
the doors are locked so I
wait
writing to you in the pre-dawn chill
distracted by the meal to come:
hot hearty ham hocks hand in hand with heaps of hashbrowns
honey butter broiled bacon on baked banquet-style biscuits or
toast or tortillas trickled with takeoff treacle tenderly, daintily drizzled
sizzling sausage slabs snuggly centered on sesame seed sandwiches
I experience intense intumescence, ingesting infinite igneous indulgences
grilled all in their gooey, golden glory
: I think of you vaguely
waiting for someone
to unlock doors
at five in the morning
sitting writing hungry love letters
outside a Brighton Massachusetts Burger King


addendum: I feel the need to apologize to S.G. for not writing about the "BK Mack"


No comments: