Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 17th - Progress

Two of Clubs - Progress
19 - Bruce Springsteen Song


Didn't quite get inspiration from The Boss on this one, but enjoy in it in its unfinished form. For the final, expect horn fills, Max Weinberg drum-kit heroics, and overt repetition of the word "night."




Back on I-195 (Hit The Road)



Magic in the air the first night we met
On the boardwalk at the shore
You were no stranger to summers there
But my family was too poor
Didn't stop me when I turned seventeen
I had one thing on my mind
Jumped in Tommy's beat-up Pontiac
And left the plant behind
Oohhh
I had no idea Maggie I'd find you that night
Cruising in Asbury Park
But on the beach all it took was one look
And we were kissing in the dark
Lying on the sweating sand together
Eyes to the stars
We broke into an abandoned beach house
Then into Tommy G's car
Driving back to your house in Hewlitt
In the early morning dew
I kissed you on your front porch, Maggie
Saying "I'll come back for you"
Oohhh

I said
Don't worry bout our parents
We won't walk the path that they trode
We'll shine much brighter
And if we get bored
Baby we can hit the road

At the factory I spent the winter,
Body burning for you
A brutal day's work
But the only way I knew
(She has an argument with her parents and leaves home. Gives up her five-town affluence to come to poor suburb of Trenton to live with him)
Saying "I only wanna be with you"
Oohhh

I said
The burden's sure heavy but
I'll shoulder it, no matter the load
We'll burn on forever
And if it strikes us
Baby we can hit the road

(They get married in a rush, and despite being poor, they live a pretty charmed life. Protagonist is even singled out by his boss for promotion)
"I got big plans for you kiddo
Boy your too smart for the floor"
(Protagonist almost puches boss, cause his father worked on the floor for thirty years, but takes promotion to make more money for his family. Can't believe life turned out this way, but will do anything to keep Maggie from working.)
Saying "I'll provide for you"
Oohh

I said
Success is a puzzle but
Someday we'll crack the code
We'll keep on burning baby
And if it comes to it
Baby we can hit the road

(Bridge: Despite profits, factory closes and moves to Mexico. Tommy G possibly loses a hand in the machinery. Basically everything goes to shit.)

She said
Baby you could try your luck at the nuclear plant
I'm willing to share the load
I'll clean houses, be a waitress
Whatever it takes
To stay off the cruel road



-


Check out the Springsteen song from last year


Some great Springsteen homages:
Dylan/Petty
Stiller
Muppets


Another poem coming here later today...
In the meantime, check out April 17th's poem from last year.

No comments: