Thursday, April 01, 2010

National Poetry Month

So apparently it's National Poetry Month. It's also National Parkinson's Disease Awareness Month, National Arab American Heritage Month, and National Manatee Awareness Month, but let's not worry about those other designations for April right now.

As a jump start for my other projects, a much needed update to an otherwise dying blog, and a gift to you my dear readers, I'll be participating this year. Each day I will write and post a new poem based on the following randomizing system. Said randomizer is a nod to my indoor kid past, consisting of drawing from a deck of cards and rolling a twenty-sided die. Each card and each side is assigned a topic and form, respectively.


The list of topics is as follows:

Joker WILD CARD
2C Palate cleansers
2D Pizza
2S Gas station cappuccino machines
2H Leaving a tip
3C White person dreadlocks
3D White Christmas
3S White guilt
3H White Day
4C Television
4D Slavery/Emancipation
4S Evolution/Devolution
4H September 14th
5C Bodacious babes
5D Not-so-bodacious babes
5S Ducks
5H Sacred spaces
6C Organic milk
6D The Great Bear
6S Character sketch of a Starbucks regular
6H Misanthropy
7C The Sea
7D Noble lies
7S Det. James McNulty
7H Victories (small)
8C A highschooler on GChat
8D School photos
8S Riding the T
8H Riding a Ferris Wheel
9C Young poets
9D Skinny jeans
9S Ironic mustaches
9H The yoke of fame
10C Irrational fears
10D Phantom limbs
10S Foreplay
10H Afterglow
JC Tobacco
JD Rasputin
JS Bill Clinton
JH WILD CARD
QC The power of red lipstick
QD Red Dawn
QS Kissing a married woman
QH Having a gay best friend
KC Burger King
KD Fat Elvis
KS Johns
KH Suicide
AC Abroad
AD Vices
AS God
AH Potential Energy
Joker WILD CARD


And the forms:

1 Pretentious doggerel (botch)
5 Free verse
9 Free verse
11 Tweet
18 Free verse
20 Any above form of my choosing

Every day in April I will draw a card and roll the die and write a poem using that topic and form and post it here before I go to sleep for the night.


Caveats:
- I will follow the system everyday even if it means I have to write a Shakespearean sonnet about Burger King. After the first poem of the day, anything else written here will be done so in any form of my choosing.
- Once a topic is used, it will not be put back in the deck.
- On rare occasions, some re-rolling may be necessary. I will adhere to the guidelines of this project as much as is realistic, but I'm not about to write 25 mainstream raps this month.
- Question: Can tweets and craigslist missed connections really be considered poetic forms? Answer: Chill out, Robert Pinsky. I could use this space to argue yes, citing the deterioration of "poetry" as it relates to the death of the monoculture, but I don't need to, because I have full creative control here.
- I would have incorporated the infamous rule card, but since I bought my deck of cards at Dollar Tree, one was not included.
- For the next month, it's a safe bet that you'll find a good bunch of doggerel on this site, but maybe a nugget of gold or two. It's an experiment, we'll see.

Thanks to those who participated by throwing some topic suggestions my way. I'll try to do them justice.

Enjoy and thanks for reading!



No comments: